close

天上天下??英文Online...等了24年。。。英式英語的潛規則:太禮貌的英國人


英文 家教


Ever been told by a new neighbour ‘You must come for dinner’ then spent weeks waiting for a follow-up invitation that never arrives?

曾經遇到過新鄰居對你說“你得過來吃個晚飯”,可幾個禮拜後邀請遲遲不來?

Or been thrilled when the boss said he’d bear your ‘very interesting’ idea in mind and been surprised when it was never mentioned again.

或者是激動地聽到上司說他會記住你“非常有趣”的想法,卻驚訝他再也沒提過這件事?

Then you’ve been victim of the uniquely British trait of being too prim and polite to say what we really mean. And if it can be baffling for us, imagine what it must be like for foreigners who take our every word at face value.

那你就是擁有獨特特征的英式英語的受害者瞭,英式英語對於表達真實所想來說太過拘謹、禮貌瞭。其實對於英國人來說,想想外國人可能會把他們的每句話信以為真,也挺令人困擾的。

Now there’s help in the form of a translation table which has become a huge hit on the internet.

現在這裡有一張在網上引起熱議的翻譯表,能對你有所幫助。

WHAT THE BRITISH SAY

英國人說的

WHAT THE BRITISH MEAN

英國人實際表達的

WHAT OTHERS UNDERSTAND

別人所理解的

I hear what you say

我聽到你說什麼瞭

I disagree and do not want to discuss it further

我不同意也不想繼續討論下去瞭

He accepts my point of view

他接受瞭我的觀點

With the greatest respect

懷著最高的敬意

You are an idiot

你是一個白癡

He is listening to me

他在聽我說

That's not bad

那不算壞

That's good

不錯

That's poor

那很差勁

That is a very brave proposal

這是一個非常勇敢的提議

You are insane

你瘋瞭

He thinks I have courage

他認為我很有勇氣

Quite good

真不錯

A bit disappointing

有一點令人失望

Quite good

真不錯

I would suggest

我認為

Do it or be prepared to justify yourself

按我認為的去做或者證明你的想法

Think about the idea, but do what you like

考慮他的說法,但按自己想的做

Oh, incidentally/by the way

哦,順便提一下

The primary purpose of our discussion is

這次討論的主要目的是

That is not very important

那並不是很重要

I was a bit disappointed that

我對此有點失望

I am annoyed that

我被惹惱瞭

It doesn't really matter

沒關系

Very interesting

非常有趣

That is clearly nonsense

那簡直是胡說八道

They are impressed

那令人印象深刻

I'll bear it in mind

我會記住的

I've forgotten it already

我已經忘瞭

They will probably do it

他們大概會這麼做

I'm sure it's my fault

我確信這是我的錯

It's your fault

這是你的錯

Why do they think it was their fault?

為什麼他們覺得是他們的錯?

You must come for dinner

你得過來吃晚飯

It's not an invitation, I'm just being polite

這並不是一個邀請,我隻是表示禮貌

I will get an invitation soon

我很快就會受到邀請

I almost agree

我差不多同意瞭

I don't agree at all

我根本不同意

He's not far from agreement

他差不多同意瞭

I only have a few minor comments

我隻有一些次要意見

Please rewrite completely

請全部重寫

He has found a few typos

他隻找到瞭一些印刷錯誤

Could we consider some other options

我們能考慮下別的選擇嗎

I don't like your idea

我不喜歡你的主意

They have not yet decided

他們還沒決定

It reveals that when a British person begins a sentence ‘With the greatest respect...’, they’re really saying ‘I think you are an idiot.’

表格揭露瞭當一個英國人用“懷著最高的敬意”為一句句子開頭,他們實際想說的是“我認為你是一個白癡”。

‘I hear what you say’ means ‘I disagree and do not want to discuss it further’ while ‘That is a very brave proposal’ translates as ‘You are insane’.



“我聽到你說什麼瞭” 代表“我不同意也不想繼續討論下去瞭”,“這是一個勇敢的提議”代表“你瘋瞭”。

The table, which has been posted on numerous internet blogs, has received thousands of comments acknowledging that it’s spot on–from foreigners and Britons alike.

這張表格被放到許多博客中後,收到許多外國人和英國人本身的贊同,承認這極其正確。


本文來源:滬江英語


▼阿滴英文|挑戰15分鐘完勝學測英文考題! 阿滴vs滴妹大對決!


妳的"英文閱讀瞬息XD"【特點一】孩子 X 父母 X 商業領袖的觀點!!?


Google翻譯- 維基百科,自由的百科全書 – Wikipedia

arrow
arrow
    全站熱搜
    創作者介紹
    創作者 玩大陸 的頭像
    玩大陸

    玩大陸の星座99不解釋!

    玩大陸 發表在 痞客邦 留言(0) 人氣()